Our specially trained TAVR team will work with your doctor to help you decide if TAVR is a good option for you.
Step #1: Evaluation at the Valve Clinic
- You will meet with several doctors on our TAVR team.
- Feel free to ask any questions you may have. It often helps to write down your questions ahead of time and bring them with you.
- You will also meet the Valve Clinic coordinator, who will help guide you through the TAVR process.
Step #2: Testing
We will perform the following tests, which are required for you to be approved for TAVR:
- Echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart)
- Cardiac catheterization (to check the health of the blood vessels supplying the heart)
- Computed tomography (CT scan or CAT scan; sophisticated x-rays of the heart, chest, abdomen and pelvis)
- Carotid ultrasound (to check the health of blood vessels supplying the brain)
- Pulmonary function test or PFTs (a breathing test that checks the quality of the lungs)
Step #3: The TAVR Procedure
- On the day of your procedure, you will be admitted to Methodist Germantown Hospital.
- The TAVR surgery will be performed by the specially trained TAVR team in our state-of-the-art hybrid operating room.
- After surgery, you will be cared for by the dedicated staff in the Cardiac Short Stay Unit.
- During your recovery, the cardiac rehabilitation team will work with you to evaluate your strength.
Step #4: Discharge
- In most cases, you can expect to be discharged home within 1-5 days after surgery.
- We recommend you have a live-in support person for the first 2 days after discharge.
- We also recommend having someone physically check on you 1-2 times per day for the first week after returning home.
- If you need extra caregiving help, the case managers at Methodist Germantown Hospital will help identify and coordinate extra levels of care.
Step #5: Follow-up Care
- After surgery, your will need to see your regular primary care physician and your cardiologist for follow-up care.
- You are required to go back to the Valve Clinic for a follow-up echocardiogram test 30 days after your TAVR surgery and one year after your surgery.
Our Valve Clinic specializes in the TAVR procedure and offers comprehensive care for patients with aortic stenosis. To schedule an appointment, call us at 901-763-0200.
Methodist Valve Clinic
7460 Wolf River Blvd.
Germantown, TN 38138