Who is eligible for WATCHMAN?
You may be a candidate for WATCHMAN if you can answer yes to the following questions:
- Do you have atrial fibrillation (AFib) not caused by a heart valve problem?
- Has your doctor recommended that you take a blood thinner for your AFib?
- Can you take warfarin but need an alternative to long-term blood thinners for one of the reasons below?
- You have a history of serious bleeding while taking blood thinners
- You have a lifestyle, occupation, or condition that puts you at risk for serious bleeding
- You’re taking warfarin and having trouble with your treatment plan, and a different type of blood thinner isn’t an option for you
If you think this describes you, then talk to your doctor about WATCHMAN.
People who SHOULD NOT receive the WATCHMAN implant include but are not limited to those who:
- Cannot take warfarin, aspirin, or clopidogrel
- Should not or cannot undergo heart catheterization procedures
- Have an allergy or sensitivity to nitinol (nickel and titanium)
- Have a left atrial appendage that does not fit the WATCHMAN implant
- Are taking blood thinners for a condition other than atrial fibrillation
Ask your doctor if any of these conditions apply to you. Be sure to talk with your doctor so that you thoroughly understand all of the risks and benefits.
To find a physician who offers WATCHMAN or to schedule an appointment, contact:Sutherland Cardiology Clinic
7460 Wolf River Blvd
Germantown, TN 38138
Phone: (901) 763-0200
UT Methodist Physicians - Cardiology
1211 Union Ave, Suite 965 & Suite 475
Memphis, TN 38104
Phone: (901) 435-8550 or (901) 274-2643