The purpose of the ASHP accredited PGY-2 Critical Care Specialty Residency at Methodist University Hospital is to provide the resident with the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to achieve potential excellence as a clinician, educator and scholar in the area of critical care medicine therapeutics. All program participants are expected to:
- Provide clinical pharmacy services to critical care medicine patients
- Teach Pharm.D. students (clerkships, recitations, classroom)
- Initiate and complete a project; submit for publication
- Present project at a regional and/or national meeting
- Write and submit for publication one review article
- Demonstrate self-initiative and independent learning skills
- Possess effective communication skills
- Be capable of providing effective drug education
Residents are expected to perform independently and demonstrate proficiency in their rotations. The residency preceptor provides guidance and assistance to the resident and ensures that the goals set forth by the resident and the program goals are met. The preceptor also provides the resident with frequent evaluation of their progress, including a written evaluation at the conclusion of the rotation. Frequent, clear communication is the key to a successful resident/preceptor relationship.
Core Educational Experiences:
- Medical ICU (4 months)
- Neurocritical Care
- Emergency Medicine
- Clinical Consult Service
Selective Experiences (Choose 2):
- Cardiovascular ICU
- Infectious Disease
- Trauma (off-site)
- Transplant ICU
- Pain/Palliative Medicine
- Cardiology Consults
- Nephrology Consults
- Nutrition Support (off-site)
Program Specific On-Call Requirements:
The resident will share in after-hour and weekend call approximately every 5 weeks, in rotation with other Clinical Pharmacy Specialists.
Program Specific Application Requirements:
Of the three (3) letters of recommendation, two (2) must be from clerkship or pharmacy practice residency preceptors.
A 30-minute presentation is required during the on-site interview.
Salary and Benefits:
The stipend for PGY-2 residents is $46,000.
April C Hurdle, Pharm.D., BCPS
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Critical Care
Director for Critical Care Specialty Residency
Assistant Professor, UT College of Pharmacy
Methodist University Hospital
1265 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104
Phone: (901) 516-7873
Fax: (901) 516-8178