1899 – John Sherard comes to Memphis to visit his pastor in the ward of another hospital.
1909 – Board of Missions in Memphis Conference recommends pursuit of a hospital.
1911 – Local Hospital Committee holds its first meeting. John Sherard donates the first $1,000.
1918 – Lucy Brinkley Women’s and Children’s Hospital is donated and operates as Methodist Hospital until a new facility is built on Lamar.
1921 – Dedication ceremony and public reception are held for the new hospital on Lamar.
1922 – Lamar hospital is sold to become a veteran’s hospital and re-opened as Lucy Brinkley.
1924 – Opening celebration is held for Methodist Hospital on Union Avenue.
1969 – School of Nursing opens.
1973 – Methodist South Hospital opens in Whitehaven.
1978 – Methodist North Hospital opens in Raleigh/Bartlett.
1981 – Methodist Health Systems is created as a parent company. Methodist acquires Fayette Hospital.
1985 – Germantown Community Hospital opens with Methodist as a 20% owner.
1993 – Methodist becomes sole owner of Germantown Hospital and renames it Methodist Germantown.
1995 – Le Bonheur Children’s Medical Center becomes part of Methodist.
1997 – Methodist Health Systems is renamed Methodist Healthcare.
2002 – UT and Methodist Healthcare announce their formal affiliation. Methodist Central is renamed Methodist University Hospital. With the closing of UT Bowld Hospital, transplant services move to Methodist University.
2010 – Sutherland Cardiology Clinic joins Methodist. From 2010 through the present, primary care and specialist physician practices across the Mid-South join the Methodist Healthcare family.